Welcome to Wild Ones Twin Cities!
The Twin Cities Chapter of Wild Ones was chartered in 2001 and is one of several chapters in Minnesota. Our chapter is the founder and co-host of the popular Design With Nature Native Plant Conference. As we have grown, so has our network of native plant enthusiasts, gardeners, landscapers, nurseries and institutions who support our mission of educating the public about the benefits of preserving and restoring biodiversity of our native plant communities, beginning in our own yards and gardens.
The national Wild Ones group was formed in 1979, and the Twin Cities chapter held their first meeting in 2001. Our local chapter provides a venue for educating members and sharing information about using plants adapted to our own soils and climate, rather than struggling to maintain exotic and sometimes invasive plantings.
Nationally, Wild Ones has nearly 4,000 individual, household, and business memberships and there are seven active chapters in Minnesota. Become a member of Wild Ones and explore how to grow your own natural garden or yard full of Minnesota native plant species that provide wildlife habitat and a multitude of other benefits. We encourage visitors to join us at one of our free, open-to-the-public events and hear firsthand about our group.
Events we sponsor include:
- Monthly meetings with presentations by experts in native plants, natural landscaping and habitat restoration. Most meetings are open to the public.
- An annual Design With Nature Conference early spring, with vendor displays, talks, and seminars.
- Tours of members’ yards to experience examples of formal and informal garden styles, raingardens, woodland gardens and butterfly attractors.
- Gardening at the Nokomis Naturescape on Tuesday evenings April through October
- Guided field trips through natural areas.
- “How-to” sessions and hands-on practice maintaining native plantings.
- Plant and seed sales and exchanges.
- Plant rescues.
Co-President: Roz Johnson, [email protected]
Co-President: Holley Wlodarczyk, [email protected]
Secretary: Susan Tertell
Treasurer: Marilyn Jones, [email protected]
Membership: Joelyn Malone
Past President: Julia Vanatta, 612-382-2800, [email protected]
Communications: Leslie Pilgrim & Andy Scott
Development: Jeremy Mayberg & Eren Sutherland
Education: Karen Graham & Jessica Miller
Membership: Barb Gibson & Maureen Fries
President Emeritus: Marty Rice
Officers serve a one year term and are elected each November. Chair positions may be filled at anytime. Please consider sharing your interest by getting involved in one of these capacities, helping support the healthy continuation and growth of our chapter. Duties are flexible, and there is a strong core of former members who are still very much involved in the group who will be happy to help newcomers. Board meetings are held quarterly and open to all members. They often involve food and always involve laughter. Contact anyone from the about list and learn more.